Swedish language courses
Do not fool yourself, you WILL need Swedish if you live in Sweden.
After spending 12+ years in Scandinavia, we can firmly say that learning Swedish is a basic and very important task for every newcomer to Sweden. If you speak even a little Swedish, doors will open in front of you that would otherwise never open. Ask yourself how do you react to foreigners speaking your native language. You will probably enjoy every bit of that person and above that will try to help them as much as you can.
Many foreigners say to themselves: “But why should I learn Swedish? I speak perfect English.” But you are in Sweden, where the locals speak Swedish and expect you to speak Swedish with them too! If you want to feel better emotionally and the Swedes to accept you with open arms, no matter how long you stay in their country, do not make our mistake, but learn Swedish. Knowing at least a little Swedish will open your doors wide to the much desired and sought after by all student job in the country! This is the most powerful weapon you can get and it is really worth investing in the language.
You already know that proficiency in Swedish is a key skill that guarantees your professional realization not only in Sweden, but also anywhere in the world where Swedish companies have a presence. Now you are probably asking yourself: “Where do I start? Where can I enroll in Swedish language courses in my country? How much do they cost? Where can I find Swedish language courses in Sweden? Are they taugh in English or Swedish? Will I be able to understand everything?”
Our advice is to start Swedish language courses long before you pack your luggage for Sweden! You will need Swedish as soon as you set foot at the airport in Sweden! If you do not know the language of the road signs, the inscriptions in the shops and especially the documents you will sign will be illegible for you…
For every phone call you have to make, you will need Swedish – even just to go through the automatic menu that will be activated. Rest assured that wherever you call, you will be greeted with one. To make an appointment with the doctor when you are not feeling well or to get your parcel from the post… All this, that looks simple at first glance, becomes completely unsolvable, because you will not understand that you just have to press 1 or 9, enter your Swedish PIN, or just wait a few minutes, calmly on the handset. Unfortunately, the Swedes will very often hang up your phone if you directly “attack” them with your English! They just don’t expect to hear English! When you wait 15-20 minutes just to be hung up after your “Hello…”, the feeling is truly unique… Therefore, ALWAYS start your conversations in Swedish! These are just some of the reasons that will complicate your life if you do not understand the language at least a little…
Start your language training in your home country so that you do not fall into stressful situations when you arrive at the new place! The best time is the summer between 11th and 12th grade, when you will have enough time to devote entirely to the language! We would like to point out that learning Swedish from the very beginning in Sweden is a difficult task, as the balance between lectures, job search (or going to work), projects, social life and sleep hours is not easy to find.
For those of you who want to be one step ahead of all other students, we organize Swedish courses in small groups or individually. We work together with longtime professors of Scandinavian Studies at Sofia University. The courses are specifically aimed at finding a student job in Sweden as quickly as possible. You will get a foundation and solid knowledge that will give you a flying start in the country. These courses are also organized online. Contact us for more details.
Swedish in Sweden
When you arrive in Sweden, you will have the opportunity to enroll in a language school – or in Swedish, svens skola, which offers Swedish language courses for students and foreigners. This is the place to contact in case you decide to start your Swedish language training.
Unfortunately, the process is long, you have to have Swedish documents, wait for a group to be formed, be called for an interview… Do not hope that you will start Swedish lessons before December. As graduate students who have refused to study Danish for 4 years, we can only advise you not to repeat our mistake – “Experience is worth more than age!” If we are about to study in Sweden or in any other country in the world, certainly the language lessons are a mandatory step before our trip!
What will you gain if you study Swedish?
- There are ONLY about 10 million people who speak Swedish! If you speak Swedish at a good level, this makes you a valuable staff member for any company that would like to make business contacts with Swedish companies!
- Knowing Swedish automatically makes your battle with the culture shock you will definitely go through much easier!
- Knowing Swedish will make your daily life much easier – in shops, restaurants and other public places.
- Swedish will make it easier for you to solve any bureaucratic problems that may arise during your stay in Sweden – translating and filling in and understanding documents in the municipality, accommodation contracts, mobile operators and the like.
- Thanks to Swedish, you will quickly understand and accept Swedish customs, which in turn will help you integrate more easily into the Swedish society.
- Swedish will allow you to communicate with many more Swedes, who, in addition to being very kind and fun, are also able to help you of any kind.
- Swedish will make it much easier for you to find a job – both in Sweden and abroad. Every language is a treasure.
- Knowing Swedish, you will automatically understand parts of Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic and Greenlandic.
- Learning a new language automatically makes you smarter.
- Your use of Swedish also proves to your potential future Swedish employers that you are motivated enough to work and integrate into the Swedish society.